Summit Bechtel Reserve Employment Information
The link below will take you to the application for Seasonal Employment for the 2014 High Adventure Season at the Summit. After clicking on the link, please select the option for 2014 Seasonal Employment Application and complete the entire application. Once your application is received and processed (within 48 hours), you will receive an email with additional information on employment process at the Summit.
You do not have to be a current member of the Boy Scouts of America to apply for an employment opportunity, however, if offered a position you will be required to become a member of the Boy Scouts of America.
If you are not interested in Seasonal Employment opportunities, please go to http://www.scouting.org/Careers.aspx to view other employment opportunities with the Boy Scouts of America.
The Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve is a 10,600 acres facility in Southern West Virginia operated by the Boy Scouts of America. The Summit opened in 2013, hosting the 36,000 Scouts and leaders at the National Scout Jamboree. The Summit is the new permanent home of the National Scout Jamboree, held every four years.
The Summit is also home to the Paul R. Christen National High Adventure Base, which opens in 2014. As the Boy Scouts newest high adventure facility, the Christen National High Adventure Base takes its place next to Philmont Scout Ranch, Northern Tier National High Adventure Base and the Florida Sea Base as the pinnacle of outdoor experience for Scouting youth.
Christen National High Adventure Base programs focus on action and adventure sports, including climbing and rappelling, challenge courses, zip lines, canopy tours, skateboarding, BMX, mountain biking, and a wide array of shooting and archery disciplines.
The Summit seeks staff to operate the inaugural programs at the Christen National High Adventure Base. Positions include managers and operators of each of the adventure sports venues to support and logistics.
PLEASE NOTE: These are paid seasonal positions. For information about available short-term volunteer opportunities, please email email@example.com.
Basic qualifications for employment at the Christen National High Adventure Base
1. You must be at least 18 years old; for some positions, 21 years old.
2. You must be or become a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America.
3. You must legally be able to work in the United States.
4. You must successfully complete an annual medical exam that demonstrates minimum physical capabilities commensurate with the desired position. Please note that some positions have physical requirements, including weight limitations.
How to Apply for Seasonal Employment
1. Complete the online application. (Coming soon!). Be sure to provide the email address of someone who can provide an employment reference. An email will be sent to the individual asking them to complete a reference for you.
2. If desired, upload a resume. This is recommended, especially for management or supervisory positions.
3. Completed applications (with reference) will be reviewed by the Christen NHAB director and staff. Please note that management and supervisory positions will be filled first. Positions for guides and support staff will begin to be filled after the first of the year.
Dates of Operation
Christen National High Adventure Base programs operate from early June through mid-August. For most staff positions, employees will report in mid-May for orientation and training.
The Summit provides 12×12 tents with cots for employees who live onsite. Employees may live offsite, but the Summit does not provide any housing allowance beyond your basic salary.
Employees may eat breakfast and dinner in the dining facility. Shelf stable lunches will be issued to staff and participants each day.
Employment questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (304) 250-6750.